Blue Mountains, Alice Springs and Hobart

The Blue Mountains, Alice Springs and our very own Hobart, are three of Molly Kendall’s most fabulous places in the country. She wouldn’t declare them the most fabulous places in the world, only because she hasn’t visited enough places yet. That’s the sort of girl she is. 
Earnest, in all the right ways.
The Hobart Connection
Molly hasn’t lived in Hobart for long but she has a long-term relationship with the city visiting her Aunt for holidays from her home in Adelaide while she was growing up. 

“I was blown away about how beautiful it is. It took my heart at a young age,” she says.

p.s. her Aunt is a massive foodie and used to operate Ali Akbar and Atlas. (Ohh food was so much more fun in Hobart in those days).
p.p.s note a newly discovered fact, Chris Jackman was chef there for a period.

For the record, Molly is also a Moonah-liver and lover. 
“It’s the most dynamic part of Hobart. It’s multi-cultural. It’s Hobart’s Brunswick Street”.
The Two Girls concur and are pleased to find another devotee.

Exorcise your inner foodie
Of course food is important to the Two Girls. Molly’s experience is different and that’s okay too.
She doesn’t rate her own food skills highly though but she’s optimistic.


"I’m pretty lame but I think I’m getting better.  I’ve gotten into baking lately, muffins and biscuits.  I did live in a van for three years so I have van cooking standards.”

Molly's food and drinking tips:
Preachers and Alley cat for a drink. She particularly likes how child friendly these places are.
Island for the best coffee 
Pigeonhole or Tricycle for food
Island Cafe, Elizabeth Street, Hobart
It’s all about people
“I’m fascinated in humans and the human condition."
Molly is a pretty interesting gal and is driven by her vision of the world through an anthropological lens. Her deep commitment to the environment and social change meant she spent three years visiting and working on eco-communities investigating why they were either successful or not. You can check out some photos of her time if you fancy. 

Molly is in to this dude called Victor Turner who designed the theory of liminality. 
“It’s about ritual, or rather the transition phase in ritual when you have lost your past status but haven’t yet gained the new status. I like that it’s an analogy of flux and change.”

She likens this theory to the state of our own State with the legacy ideology of the forest wars, parochialism and old school conservative Tasmania being on the brink of a new era with a surge of young people and new values. And that’s how she feels about Alice Springs and the Blue Mountains too. They are also both ancient beautiful places perched on the edge of change.

The Sea Shepherd and social action
Molly is a Sea Shepherd veteran and spent a season as deck crew and on small boat missions.  It’s very tactical and we’re not going to share the details here but needless to say it was an adventure.  
Whilst whales are an important cause for Molly it is making a real contribution that matters most to Molly.  The Sea Shepherd is a mechanism for direct action on the environment with demonstrable results.  


Each year the Japanese Government publishes the number of whales slaughtered so it’s easy to see by the decline in their statistics that you’re having an impact.

Loving
Molly may have been a fool in love in her past but it’s pretty easy to see that she and her boy-o are pretty into each other and they’re both in to their baby-boy too.

Her love advice? Don’t settle for less than amazing. Have faith that you will find your ‘One Great Love’ but don’t let that be your driving force.

“I went through a litany of relationships desperately believing in finding my One Great Love.  I got to the point where I thought, well, that's it, I'm only ever going to be truly happy alone.  As soon as I let go and was content in myself, I found him.  The funny thing is that I had a superstitious feeling that I had to get to this place (of emotional self-sufficiency) to be in the right place to find my One, but I couldn't force myself to let go, it only happened when I'd given up on love, and I was OK with that.”

Living
There are so many interesting things about Molly that could fill several posts but some other stuff we found interesting included:
Pretty cool chick right?

She’s full to the brink and she’s got aspirations to boot. She’s got a very cool blog called Death in December. As a relatively new mummy, she is conscious of leaving her legacy and through that, living her life to the full. Join her and plan your death and doing so, live. This is Molly. She’s great. 

She and her family see a stint in international aid in their future.
 “If I was able to volunteer for the rest of my life I would be a happy girl.”

She wants to keep making a contribution and she’s committed. What might she want most of all?
“I’d like to change the world with a ground breaking idea!”
We think if anyone’s going to do this, Ms Kendall might just be the one.