A Christmas tree and the other things that make Christmas special


A Christmas tree and the other things that make Christmas special

For years and years our family Christmas tree was a native Cherry. We had a large one on our block which produced many offspring that dad would cut down and bring into the house for us to decorate each year.
Then we got our first fake Christmas tree.

We were walking through Harris Scarfe (then Fitzgeralds) and Mum totally fell in love with it.

It was adorned with lights, beautiful decorations and a star on top.  Right there and then, Mum and Dad made the decision to buy it. To the delight of me and my brother; finally we were going to have a Christmas tree that looked like a Christmas tree in the movies, better in fact!  This tree looked so real, you had to actually touch it to realise it was fake.
It wasn't until we got it home that Dad realised that the tree wouldn't actually fit in the house - it was in three sections and each section was about 4 feet high.
Thankfully we were able to use the top two sections only - the bottom section sat on top of Mum and Dad's wardrobe gathering dust for years.
I guess it's not until you get older that you realise that it doesn't matter what your Christmas tree is, in fact it doesn't matter if you don't have a Christmas tree.  The tree doesn't make my Christmas special, having family around makes my Christmas special.
This year I am thankful for my family, and my friends that have become my family, and I'm thankful I'll be spending my holiday time with them.

For what Christmas means to the other Girl click here.
What does Christmas mean to you?